SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:05:45 +0100
On 15/01/14 11:44, Jean-Michel Barbet wrote:
> On 01/15/2014 11:20 AM, Urs Beyerle wrote:
>
>> Adobe discontinued the Adobe Reader 9 for Linux in June 2013 and has not
>> fixed and will not fix any further security issues in it. Therefore it
>> makes totally sense to remove it from their repo.
>
> Thank you Urs,
>
> OK, that's clear. What are the alternatives on the SL worksation ?

I've used evince for a few years, and it's getting better and better.
Or you got xpdf and okular (in the kdegraphics package) which is fairly
popular too.  In addition Firefox 24 (available in SL6.3, iirc) and
newer includes pdf.js, which displays PDFs fairly well inside the browser.

It mostly depends on your needs.  There are some features which works
less good in the alternatives, and even a few scenarios where Adobe
Reader seems to be the only alternative.  But I'd try out what's already
in SL first and see if it covers your need.  Most of them are usually
faster than Adobe Reader too.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth