SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
John Lauro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Lauro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2014 17:59:31 -0500
Your first assumption, although largely correct as a generality it is not entirely accurate, and at a minimum is not the sole purpose.  That is why companies have mission statements.  They rarely highlight the purpose of making money, although that is often the main purpose even if not specified.  What is Red Hat's mission?  It is listed as:
            To be the catalyst in communities of customers, contributors, and partners creating
            better technology the open source way.

Making things exceedingly difficult would go against the stated mission.  In my opinion it would also go against making money as it would kill the eco system of vendors that support RedHat Enterprise Linux for their applications.

There are so many distributions out there, the biggest way for them to not make money is to become insignificant.  Having free
alternatives like Centos keeps high market share of the EL product and ensures compatibility and a healthy eco system.  If there was not open clones of EL, then ubuntu or something else would take over and the main supported platform of enterprise applications, and then the large enterprises that pay for RedHat support contracts would move completely off.

Having people use Centos or Scientific linux might not directly help the bottom line, but for RedHat it's a lot better than having people use ubuntu or suse.  Oracle not being free could pose a bigger threat, but either RedHat remains on top as they are the main source for good support, or they do not and Oracle will have to pick up the slack for driving RedHat out of business. and what's left of RedHat would have to start using Oracle as TUV...  I don't see too many switching to Oracle besides those that are already Oracle shops.