SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2014 12:31:23 +0100
On 14/01/14 05:43, ToddAndMargo wrote:

>    Being out-of-date grates on me all the time.  I get
> tired of holding my nose for a solid enterprise platform.
> haven't found a better one though.
>
> -T
>
> I can't even run the current version of Xfce!  AHHHHHHHH!!!!

You actually do need to decide.  Do you want a solid and stable system
for many years (7-10 years), or do you want bleeding edge?

Newer software versions often do require newer libraries, which then
will can break the stability or even render other installed software
useless.

On the other hand, a new RHEL version appears every 3-4 year.  That
gives a possibility to "upgrade" (scratch install), to something newer
and which will be able to run newer software.  Remember that RHEL6 was
released in november 2010, with SL6 arriving in march 2011.

So SL6 is getting 3 years old soon.  It's natural you can't run more
current versions of Xfce or other software packages, unless you do a
massive rework with SL packages and other dependencies.

But ... did you want bleeding edge or a stable system?  The "inbetween"
comes with EL7, until that begins to age and EL8 comes to market.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth