SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
"James M. Pulver" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James M. Pulver
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2014 13:51:40 +0000
We run a small AD setup with BIND as DNS. We don't even allow dynamic updates, and it all works fine. We get some event log spam, but as long as you register the DNS entries somehow, the automated stuff from the clients doesn't need to do it.
OT:
As to whether AD makes sense - well back in 2008 when we were planning our setup, it made a lot of sense. Here in 2014 I think SAMBA 4 for auth and Puppet for conf management might just make more sense, if it ties as well in with SL6 as SL6 SSSD to AD. The major pain I have right now is I have *too many choices* for how to configure Windows (Is that a problem??). I can use Group Policy, I can use Fusion Inventory, I can use Puppet. It's a trick to work out which is best for what.

I will say, I've hit "interesting" bugs in GPO deployment, and so much of the debugging seems obfuscated for no reason. Puppet at least has a "force a run" that easily gives you details about what's going on so you can debug quickly. GPO debugging feels far more like black magic - there's at least 3 different ways to go about it and you have to go through each till you find the problem, and the fix may well be "Reinstall Windows" because you can't remove and reinstall just the GP client. With Puppet, I've left GPP registry settings and attempts to manage third party apps (unless they come with an ADM(x) file - because why reinvent the wheel) behind.
--
James Pulver
CLASSE Computer Group