SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2014 16:16:37 -0800
On 2014/01/09 16:00, Ian Murray wrote:
> On 09/01/14 23:27, Ian Murray wrote:
>> On 09/01/14 22:53, jdow wrote:
>>> Ian, I suspect the SL staff position is more proper engineering with
>>> it's concern about what could possibly go wrong than it is about
>>> minimizing their work or compromising their main sponsor's needs. I
>>> suspect that the SL staff position is also tempered with a healthy
>>> dose of, "What do our customers want and need?"
>> I didn't suggest otherwise. However, I could have sworn I read somewhere
>> that Red Hat would stop release their source as SRPMs (which would have
>> a direct impact on the build process of SL I assume), but I can't find
>> that now. Maybe I mis-read that. I'll keep looking.
>
> Right, I have found it:
>
> http://community.redhat.com/centos-faq/
>

>         Will this new relationship change the way CentOS obtains Red Hat
>         Enterprise Linux source code?
>
> Yes. Going forward, the source code repository at git.centos.org will replace
> and obsolete the Red Hat Enterprise Linux source rpms on ftp.redhat.com. Git
> provides an attractive alternative to ftp because it saves time, reduces human
> error, and makes it easier for CentOS users to collaborate on and build their
> own distributions, including those of SIGs.
>

> So, as I read it, SL will need to change whether it likes it or not, unless RHEL
> SRPMs will be available through other channels.

I hope what they are doing is putting the RHEL sources into the Centos GIT
repository and Centos then derives from the posted RHEL sources with its
own sources OR that Centos simply becomes the source code distribution for
RHEL.

Don't forget that GPL means you must have the sources available when asked
for. Therefore they have to be available to all chronologically before any
potential Centos massaging might take place on those sources.

Pulling changes from git may be easier than pulling down the entire batch
of SRPMs, too. It may well simplify the SL process.

{^_^}