SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2014 15:54:13 -0800
On 2014/01/09 15:27, Ian Murray wrote:
> On 09/01/14 22:53, jdow wrote:
>> Ian, I suspect the SL staff position is more proper engineering with
>> it's concern about what could possibly go wrong than it is about
>> minimizing their work or compromising their main sponsor's needs. I
>> suspect that the SL staff position is also tempered with a healthy
>> dose of, "What do our customers want and need?"
> I didn't suggest otherwise. However, I could have sworn I read somewhere
> that Red Hat would stop release their source as SRPMs (which would have
> a direct impact on the build process of SL I assume), but I can't find
> that now. Maybe I mis-read that. I'll keep looking.

This is an excellent source of information.
http://wordshack.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/centos-welcome/

It contains many links including the link to the faq:
http://community.redhat.com/centos-faq/

The faq is a very good source of information. It's best to go to these
good sources rather than listen to FUD spread around the net. I saw
noting to indicate SRPMs were no longer going to be distributed. That
would be of questionable legality as a matter of fact given GPL
requirements.

>> The main SL customers are their sponsers, Fermilab and Cern. They do
>> not need the latest and greatest. They need stable support for "what
>> we already have for as long as practical."
>
> I thought core CentOS would still track Red Hat in releases and support
> lengths. If I have that wrong, then that does throw a spanner in the works.

The impression I received is that Centos policies would not change. But
read the faq, don't trust me. I looked at and tried Centos many years ago
and decided what I got was a somewhat slower and outdated "you gotta
update frequently like regular Red Hat (now Fedora)" situation with very
unstable leadership. It was going through one if its, "We're gonna die!"
phases. I looked elsewhere. I hit on SL by accident and liked their
policies. I've not been disappointed. For, perhaps, different reasons I
want what SL's sponsors want. And I don't see SL's sponsors dropping it
any time soon. I'll probably die first.

>> All the other SL customers, such as you and I, don't matter a hill of
>> beans against the billion dollar investments of their sponsors. I am
>> sitting back and watching. I certainly respect their work, appreciate
>> their work, and admittedly sponge off their work. So I'd not dream of
>> trying to tell them what to do.
> I wouldn't dream of telling them what to do either. All I am doing here
> is chewing the cud, as it were.
>
> FWIW, I don't feel link I sponge... I merely drink from the same open
> source cup that SL and Red Hat does. I have a few lines of code accepted
> in the Xen project; does that mean all Xen users (4.3+) are sponging off
> me? I don't think so.

I'm taking care of a good situation. I make my income writing for pay
software. So while it's legal I do feel like a sponge rather than
someone who contributes enough to pay for my use. I don't have time.
(And time seems to be getting shorter every day as I get older. Too
many decade years, I suppose.)

{^_^}