SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2014 14:53:57 -0800
Ian, I suspect the SL staff position is more proper engineering with
it's concern about what could possibly go wrong than it is about
minimizing their work or compromising their main sponsor's needs. I
suspect that the SL staff position is also tempered with a healthy
dose of, "What do our customers want and need?"

The main SL customers are their sponsers, Fermilab and Cern. They do
not need the latest and greatest. They need stable support for "what
we already have for as long as practical."

All the other SL customers, such as you and I, don't matter a hill of
beans against the billion dollar investments of their sponsors. I am
sitting back and watching. I certainly respect their work, appreciate
their work, and admittedly sponge off their work. So I'd not dream of
trying to tell them what to do.

I do note that for the machine on which I use SL it is precisely the
sort of thing I want, too.

{^_^}   Joanne Dow