SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vladimir Mosgalin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2014 16:14:18 +0400
Hi Steven Miano!

 On 2014.01.31 at 06:46:31 -0500, Steven Miano wrote next:

> I'm currently on Fedora 20 (Heisenbug), and still have a /var/log/messages.

Actually, it means that you probably upgraded from F19 or installed
logging service manually.
On F20, one can remove rsyslog - or not install it, if doing fresh
install - and everything will be fine.

> I would add that the old messages are still there - and journalctl simply
> brings another method of finding the information you're looking for.

Yes, but it stores it in different place; it would work even if you
remove /var/log/messages

> journalctl -b is equivalent to dmesg.

Not quite. It is equivalent to dmesg+messages+.xsession-errors (or
gdm log) when run from root or .xsession-errors/gdm equivalent when run
from user. Of course, you can ask it to show you only certain categories
of messages; that's main difference to main logging from user
perspective: before, log files were split to different files by category
when message arrived and stored like that, and with journald you split
by category only when viewing these messages.

Either way, on server systems I just don't see how journald is going to
obsolete rsyslog, remote logging ability can be a real lifesaver at
times, that alone justifies rsyslog usage.. Until they implement it in
journald, at least.