SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2014 10:15:08 -0800
On 01/22/2014 01:50 AM, Jason Bronner wrote:
> BitDefender, ClamAV, and AVG are the only AV packages I have experience
> with for Lin, and all are reasonably decent, but bit defender wants
> about 100$ US a year out of you for 1-5 users. AVG free has 32 bit RPMs,
> debs, and tarballs that are built with reasonable frequency. If cost is
> a consideration i'd probably stick with clam or AVG.

Hi Jason,

Since this PCI stuff is really more of a paper chase, what
really ratters is the "appearance" that you are trying to
improve things.  (I will have decent AV's running on the
Windows clients.)  Think of a lawyer for the credit card
provider point at you in court yelling "See, he didn't have
and anti virus installed.  He is liable!  We are not!"  PCI
is suppose to be about security, wink, wink.  It is really
about making the merchant liable for fraud.

So, after that soap box, what I am really looking for
in an AV is in order or priority:

      1)  the AV causes the least amount of havoc
          on the operation of the computer.  And,

      2)  if it worked somewhat, that would be an
          added bonus (for those of who actually
          take security seriously)

I would avoid Kaspersky.  Made a mess and was the devil
to remove.  But that was about two years ago that I last
tried it.

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.