SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:30:19 -0800
We have been converted without choice to a Microsoft Exchange
proprietary email server, although IMAP service has been retained. I
have 64 bit X86-64 Thunderbird on my office machine, and 32 bit IA-32
Thunderbird on my laptop, both under SL6x (64 bit office, 32 bit
laptop).  The office machine is 4 core, my laptop is 2 core.  On my
office machine, when using the MS IMAP server, Thunderbird runs very,
very slowly, with a single core reported load over 100 percent -- and
does not appear to be using more than one core.  On my laptop,
Thunderbird has acceptable performance, and typically shows a load of 10
percent.  Office LAN is IEEE 802.3 at 100 Mbit/sec; home is over IEEE
802.11 through a DSL box from the telephone common carrier.

Anyone else having a similar experience?  Is 64 bit Tbird significantly
different from 32 bit Tbird?

Yasha Karant