SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jan 2014 09:55:35 -0500
James
thats a great analysis I highly encourage you to write an article on
the subject some time.

one more thing I would add is about authentication. If you are planing
to use centeralized authentication make sure you do a full LDAP 3
implementation with TLS and Kerberos 5. do not use the standard config
most people use where they put a password in the LDAP client
configuration always use Kerberos Keytab files and secure them well.

I would also highly suggest a password auditing system esspecially if
you dont intend to use centralized authentication. There is a decent
one thats not to expensive Ive used in the past which also acts as a
password vault called Password Manager Pro from Manage Engine.
Unfortunately there are no free alternative out there which surprises
me because it wouldn't be too difficult a project to write. Again that
should be in its own isolated local network that is not accessible
from any where but a few internal workstations.