SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2014 20:17:38 +0100
On 16/01/14 04:58, Andrew Z wrote:
> I guess im missing something tonight.
> So back to my question - why not to have a group of scientific apps in
> installer ? Whats the advantage of having a separate iso for the  os?
> Say in fedora the scientific apps will be latest git versions and on el level
> - production quality.

It most likely  has to do with limited space on the DVD images.  You can only
squeeze in a certain number of packages, depending on the package sizes into
an image.

So to avoid making many ISO images for download, as most users would normally
only need one image, special interest groups would then require two or more
images (unless you have a networking functional during install).  With the
Fedora spins you get everything for a specific interest groups on separate
images.  And the result is that you you usually only just download one image
and (hopefully) get exactly what you want instantly.

But I'm just thinking aloud, I might be wrong.

--
kind regardsm

David Sommerseth