SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2014

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2014 18:12:51 -0800
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 6:58 PM, Alan Bartlett <[log in to unmask]
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>
>     On 18 January 2014 01:07, ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]
>     <mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
>      >
>      >    Now to get it to actually do something.  I get the please wait
>      > symbol, then nothing.  Maybe I actually have to have an Airport
>      > router somewhere?  (I am making sure I can have something to
>      > run on a customer's site.)
>      >
>      > -T
>
>     Without reading the java code, I suspect that your postulation is
>     correct. ;-)
>
>     Alan.

On 01/17/2014 05:59 PM, Jason Bronner wrote:> Test something from Apple
without having to sink a couple hundred bucks
 > into it? We're talking about the same Apple, right?

Hi Jason,

    Occasionally I come across a customer that uses Apple's
version of a router (from hell) called an Airport Extreme.
Now this little abomination won't let you administer it
with a web browser like every other router in this universe.
You have to use Apple's "Airport" utility.  And, the
little stinker won't work over a bridge.  I hate the things.

And, of course, there is no Airport utility for Linux.
One for Windows.  Says it runs XP, until you run it and
it tells you you need Vista or above.  AHHHHHHH!

Had a customer last week that had one and had a bridge
to his office.  I had to take a hike to his home and
use his Mac Book, which is on the Airport side of
his bridge.

And, I really chafe under computer's with one button
mice.  I do support Windows, Mac, and Linux, but I really
don't care for Mac.  Way to locked down and too artsy-fartsy.
Not to mention they try to hide the command line from you
(it is in utilities).

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.