SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2014

From:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2014 12:46:31 +1100
On 8/01/2014 8:42 AM, Jimmy Dorff wrote:
> This is interesting:
>
> http://community.redhat.com/centos-faq/

Personally, I had a big laugh at this:
"The CentOS Project will expand its mission to provide additional open
source technology-specific variant editions of the core operating
system. Such editions will be capable of serving as a foundation for
multiple, complementary cloud/virtualization projects. A current example
is the Xen4CentOS project, which provides the components required to use
CentOS 6 as a Xen host. Future examples will likely include variants to
provide the virtualization component needs for OpenStack and oVirt, and
variants providing hardware support and component updates for web hosters."

I was invited to join the Xen4CentOS team a while back - I'd been doing
my own packages (http://xen.crc.id.au) for quite a long time - well
before anyone had heard of Xen4CentOS - but refused due to the (imho)
abhorrent group of people that seems to ruin the CentOS experience
overall. If you've ever been on the CentOS IRC channel, you've come
across these people. That's when we started to refer to the project as
C*ntOS ;)

Anyhow, I've refocussed my documentation etc to provide SL with a higher
recommendation than CentOS now and usually point people to SL over
CentOS in any real discussion. The environment here is much more civil
and Pat & Co are fantastic resources to work with when required (not
that I find much wrong these days).

In a nutshell? Phooey on C*ntOS, Great work SL team :)

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: https://www.crc.id.au