SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2014

From:
Michael Tiernan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2014 08:42:26 -0500
Maybe we should take this to a different mailing list?
scientific-linux-speculation? :)   (That part was a joke)

Of course maybe the ascendos team could host a mailing list specific to
this discussion?

On 1/8/14 10:44 AM, Lirodon wrote:
> Now, what I was thinking about was trying to see if we could unify as
> many of these EL spins as possible to produce a sort of "unified",
> independent distribution.

I have always wondered, as an outsider to the nitty gritty dealings of
the respective Linux flavors, why there wasn't an effort made to produce
a united *base* respin of the RH sources from which everyone else can
layer on their specific changes.

Yes, now I'm speculating and asking the universe rhetorically about this.
Why is it that we can't expend a modest level of effort to unify the
most basic components that will produce a running *basic* system and
then everyone, knowing what this basic system is, can just use that and
build on it.

Instead of the good folks here at SL spending effort respinning core
libraries and kernels, they can concentrate on the scientific aspects of
the upper part of the system. The few changes that are added to the
system for things such as single user passwords and other little things
can still be built on that base.

As primarily a user/sysadmin I see the blocks that the system runs on,
this core of the OS, as just that, blocks from which I build onto.

Of course there are days that I'm just a wide-eyed optimist. :(

Thanks for everyone's time and the soapbox. (Or is that sap-box?)

--
   <<  MCT>>    Michael C Tiernan xmpp:[log in to unmask] +1 (617) 324-9173
   MIT - Laboratory for Nuclear Science - http://www.lns.mit.edu