SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2014

Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2014 17:15:04 +0100
On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 09:44:50AM -0600, Lirodon wrote:

> Now, what I was thinking about was trying to see if we could unify as many
> of these EL spins as possible to produce a sort of "unified", independent
> distribution. [...]

It's pretty interesting to see how open source people (I'm one of them)
in a lot of cases tend to fight with each other instead of fight against
"the enemy" (TBD, but I'm talking about the non-open world, the "pseudo"
open source companies, etc.).

Unless proven otherwise, I would give Red Hat the benefit of the doubt
(which they deserve, given their history).  If CentOS provides an open
RHEL clone (more open than they did in the past), then we should accept
this and be (very) happy with it.  Everyone is free to start their own
pet projects, but as long as there is no need for it (and again, given
the history of CentOS and their lack of transparency there was a need
for it in the past), any effort to start a "competitive" project is
IMHO a complete waste of effort.

And about the reasons behind this: I do not know them, but maybe one
of the considerations is that an "official" clone is better than
having a company like Oracle gaining market share with their clone.

--
--    Jos Vos <[log in to unmask]>