SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

January 2014

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2014 14:48:21 +0100
On 08/01/14 01:33, Travis Heinstrom wrote:
> I think this is going to be interesting. CentOS has always been a RHEL
> clone, and I think Red Hat might try to kill the whole idea of a free
> "clone."

That would be a stupid strategy.  Seriously.  If RH would manage to kill
CentOS, another CentOS variant, based on the same sources would pop up
as a replacement - or Scientific Linux would quickly gain even more
traction.  That is simply a core feature of open source projects (such
as CentOS).

In addition, claiming that RH might try to kill a free clone, that
sounds more like traditional "closed source" thinking.  Which is not
even close to the values RH has:
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySyPIoyXJ-k>

--
kind regards,