SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2013

From:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ToddAndMargo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2013 16:53:53 -0800
On 11/04/2013 04:21 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> I need to do a media comparison between a data DVD and the .iso file
> that purportedly contains the image of the exact DVD (including any
> bootable or autoload binary files, not for an Intel instruction set
> architecture).
>
> When burning to the DVD, applications such as K3B and Nero (for Linux)
> will do a verify of the burned media.  My understanding is that these
> applications go through the device driver and device controller
> hardware/firmware that may be applying error correction to the raw bit
> stream; any such detected "hardware media" errors typically are reported
> by the driver to a log file, but typically (if corrected) do not cause
> the application to fail.
>
> If one mounts the .iso file, by a command similar to that below,
>
> # mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 /files/dvdimage.iso
> /media1/virtualdisc
>
> and likewise has the physical DVD in the DVD drive and mounted from,
> say, /dev/sr0
>
> will a diff /dev/loop0 /dev/sr0 suffice?
>
> Is there a utility that will do the same thing that Nero would do as it
> verifies after burning, but not requiring the burn -- that is, verify a
> DVD against an ISO image file?
>
> If /dev/sr0 were mounted on, say, /media/someDVD, and the ISO image file on
> /media1/virtualdisk , is there a utility or script to do a "bit by bit"
> comparison via the mount points (not just the "raw" mount as /dev/sr0 )?
>
> Yasha Karant

Hi Yasha,

Check the DVD as a raw device.

After you burn the ISO, eject the DVD (clears out something,
I don't know what, but had to learn the hard way):
    /usr/bin/eject /dev/sr0

Then inject the DVD (close the door).  Can be on the same
line.
    /usr/bin/eject -t /dev/sr0

Then make an MD5SUM of each
    md5sum /files/dvdimage.iso /dev/sr0

Eyeball the sums.  One will be on top of the other.

If you like, I have some leftover code I can send you.

-T

--
Computers are like air conditioners.