SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2013

From:
"~Stack~" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
~Stack~
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2013 13:24:16 -0600
> You shouldn't have to install NetworkManager for servers. It is *NOT*
> your friend.

I agree. However, I have wasted too much time already on this problem
(several hours last night and several again this morning) and installing
NetworkManager is the easy way out at the moment. I need and would
rather focus my attention on the project and not chasing down a DHCP
problem. It really sucks I have to install so many more unneeded
packages just to get DHCP to work on boot. Such an absurd problem to have.

> Neither is DHCP for servers, since sometimes upstream
> switches have not yet detected the active device by the time your
> client has scurried its way through the local host restart. In
> general, I keep servers set statically, and only set them to DHCP when
> planning a migration. You might this and see if it brings up the
> network at boot time reliably.

Agreed. Most of my servers are actually hard set. However, in this
particular project things would be so much better if I had a working
DHCP at boot.

> If the upstream detection is the issue, put a "sleep 10" in the
> "start" stanza of /etc/nit.d/network. Amusingly enough, you can even
> put it in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0, although that can
> get irritating and tools like system-config-network or NetworkManager
> will happily overwrite it.

Not a bad idea. I just tried it and didn't get it to work. Maybe 10
seconds is too short?

I will probably just script something when I have time and shove it into
puppet. However, it seems to me that others are also having/seen this
problem. Maybe this should be something fixed upstream?

Thanks for the help everyone!
~Stack~