SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2013

Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2013 19:55:35 +0000
On 11/06/2013 07:16 PM, David Sommerseth wrote:
> On 06. nov. 2013 02:23, dg wrote:
>> Is it possible to install a *.dmg on SL6.4?
>>
> You may be able to "open" (that is mount) *.dmg files as a loopback
> device (As zxq9 said, it's a HFS filesystem).  But install it?  Probably
> not, as *.dmg are install images for OSX.
>
> The only exception is if it contains non-binary files which you need.
> In the case of binary files, they will not be compatible with the Linux
> kernel, glibc and other system libraries required.
>
> Even though OSX and Linux have their roots in the Unix world, it's
> usually not enough to support cross-OS binary installations.
>

> kind regards,
>
> David Sommerseth

David,

Thank you. I'm experimenting with a ubuntu VM, which has been backed up in anticipation of the inevitable.
Amusingly, have never knowingly come into contact with anApple gadget so far.
Will post any notes of success.

Mike Engelhardt, Microsim, Orcad and Linear.com, has done some excellent stuff along the way. LTSpice, although closed source is
highly appreciable, so worth the endeavour.

--
Best Regards

David Greig