SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

November 2013

From:
David Crick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Crick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2013 23:57:41 +0000
On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 6:01 AM, Steven Haigh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> As part of your security policy - how do you test that SELinux is
> actually doing what it is supposed to?
>
> Apart from the obvious DENIED messages that it gives off, there doesn't
> seem to be any way to check that it will actually stop unexpected access
> to various system components.
>
> Is there anything further than 'well, its enabled!'?

07 Nov 2007: Enterprise Linux 5.0 to 5.1 risk report
(https://www.awe.com/mark/blog/200711071924.html)

An update to Samba (May) where a remote attacker could cause a heap
overflow. In addition to ExecShield making this harder to exploit, the
impact of any sucessful exploit would be reduced as Samba is
constrained by an SELinux targeted policy (enabled by default).

26 May 2008: Enterprise Linux 5.1 to 5.2 risk report
(https://www.awe.com/mark/blog/200805262100.html)

An update to OpenPegasus (January), where a remote attacker who can
connect to OpenPegasus could cause a buffer overflow. The Red Hat
Security Response Team believes that it would be hard to remotely
exploit this issue to execute arbitrary code, due to the default
SELinux targeted policy, and the default SELinux memory protection
tests.

Two updates to Samba (November, December) where a remote attacker who
can connect to the Samba port could cause buffer overflows. In
addition to ExecShield making this harder to exploit, the impact of
any sucessful exploit would be reduced as Samba is constrained by an
SELinux targeted policy (enabled by default).

20 Jan 2009: Enterprise Linux 5.2 to 5.3 risk report
(https://www.awe.com/mark/blog/2009012017.html):

An update to Samba (May), where a remote attacker who can connect and
send a print request to a Samba server could cause a heap overflow.
The Red Hat Security Response Team believes it would be hard to
remotely exploit this issue to execute arbitrary code due to the
default enabled SELinux targeted policy and the default enabled
SELinux memory protection tests. We are not aware of any public
exploit for this issue.