SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2013

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2013 09:57:22 -0500
On Tue, 24 Sep 2013, Yasha Karant wrote:

> Let me see if I understand the current situation. This question was
> prompted by the question of a  colleague attempting to use OpenSuSE (not
> SL nor TUV) on UEFI Secure Boot who was not able to get a reliably
> booted running operating environment.  The colleague wondered if SL
> would fare better.
>
> Depending upon the particular BIOS or BIOS equivalent, using MS Windows
> 8, it may be possible to disable Secure Boot and allow for SL to be

Using is not the "official status",  it is "Windows 8 logo" use that
dictates secure boot.  And if it is enabled then it is required to have a
way to disable it.  Please give the vendors a chance with turning secure
boot off.

> booted.  Secure Boot, and many other technologies put forward by,
> through, or under the auspices of the monopoly primarily exist to move
> forward the market share, return on investment, and general economic
> wealth of the monopoly (not a surprise in oligopolistic non-market
> economics).
>
> SL with Fermilab participation is participating in projects that will
> allow SL to boot on UEFI Secure Boot hardware without the use of any

This is only planned for SL 7 as RHEL 7 is expected to have secure boot
ability.

> monopoly operating environment software or applications -- Microsoft not
> required.  Presumably, TUV is participating as well as TUV
> supported-for-fee environments must be able to reliably boot and run on
> UEFI Secure Boot platforms without the use of monopoly software to
> enable the booting process.  Apple is not a matter for discussion
> because Apple provides the entire hardware and software package, and
> does not allow the use of MacOS on non-Apple hardware platforms.
> Presumably VirtualBox and other means to allow MS Windows to run as a
> guest environment has or will have some means to provide UEFI Secure
> Boot to MS Windows guests requiring such.

Since the requirement is to be allowed to use the "windows 8 logo" not
sure that this would be a issue .

> At present, there is no production Linux that will reliably run on all
> hardware platforms that use UEFI Secure Boot

That is true if you include Windows ARM systems because of the inability
to disable "Secure Boot" .  x86_64 systems are a work in progress.
Depends on your definition of "production Linux".  Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
should work.

-Connie Sieh