SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2013

From:
Tom Rosmond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Rosmond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2013 13:42:56 -0700
Over the weekend on my workstation I did an SL re-install from 5.5 to
6.4.  So far my system seems to be running everything I want, with one
exception.  I had 'mplayer' working under 5.5, but have a problem with
6.4.  I tried to install it from 2 different repos (atrpms, dag), but in
both cases there is a missing dependency with 'libltdl.so.3'.  This
library was apparently available in 5.5, but in 6.4 has been upgraded to
'libltdl.so.7', and the 'mplayer' RPM's aren't compatible.  It is easy
to download and install the older version from the typical sites.
However, are there any unforeseen consequences doing this that might
cause problems?  Or is there a preferred application from playing videos
(e.g. AVI files), in 6.4.

T. Rosmond