SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2013

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2013 18:40:20 -0500
On Tue, 24 Sep 2013, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> --001a11c379ecc5abcb04e7297e9d
>
> Down, boy.
>
> Scientific Linux is behind the times on available tools, because our
> favorite upstream vendor has not yet released tools. Tools to work with
> have been tested, effectively, with Fedora, and I expect our favorite
> upstream vendor will include tools with release 7.x, which is not yet in
> alpha or beta release. Check out
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html-single/UEFI_Secure_Boot_Guide/index.htmlfor
> a good breakdown of the issues and trade-offs.
>
> UEFI is part of the old "Palladium" project from Microsoft, relabeled as
> "Trusted Computing". It is aimed squarely at DRM and vendor lock-in, not
> security, for reasons that I could spend a whole day discussing.In the
> meantime, yes, you can disalbe it for SL booting if needed, and reasonably
> expect our favorite upstream vendor to have shims available when version 7
> is publishedL they're already working well with recent Fedora releases. I'd
> also *expect* those shims to be workable for SL 7, but someone may have to
> plunk down some cash to get some keys signed, and spend some extra effort
> to maintain the security needed for the relevant shims to work well with SL
> kernels and environments.

Last week at LinuxCon North America the shim developers were still
developing.

I attended the UEFI Plugfest last week as part of Linux Con.
Microsoft gave a presentation on UEFI signing.  The
presentation will be posted to uefi.org website.

We are working on this.  Fermilab is a member of the UEFI forum .

-Connie Sieh