SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2013

From:
Adam Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2013 20:19:49 +0000
On 1 Sep 2013, at 15:05, TAO Zhijiang <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I will frequently change my kernel, so everytime I may reinstall the vmware-tools, which will
> really make me mad.

How extensive are the changes? If they're minor, you should be able to use these (make sure I guessed the version correctly!):

  http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/latest/rhel6/x86_64/index.html

Install the yum repo from:
  http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/latest/repos/index.html

vmware-tools-esx-nox is the headless server version.

The packages say "ESX", but I'm ~95% certain (haven't tested specifically) they'll work flawlessly under fusion/workstation/player.

If you make major changes, or use a non-stock kernel, VMware supply SRPM's - I've never used them myself so I don't know if they are complete.  You could add them to your build process (assuming you're using something like Koji).

Your other option is something like chef/puppet/ansible to automate the deployment of the packages, or look at open-vm-tools which contains most of the functionality of the VMware packages.

More recent builds of VMware tools should also have the ability to recompile themselves automatically on boot - again, I haven't tested this functionality personally - in my environment I use a combination of puppet and the official repo's).

Hope something in this email helps!

Regards,

Adam Bishop

   gpg: 0x6609D460

Janet, the UK's research and education network.
Janet(UK) is a trading name of Jisc Collections and Janet Limited, a
not-for-profit company which is registered in England under No. 2881024
Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG. VAT No. 614944238