SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2013

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2013 11:55:07 -0500
On Tue, 24 Sep 2013, Yasha Karant wrote:

> This thread started because my colleague is using SuSE and tried Ubuntu
> -- and both failed to secure boot properly from the generic hardware to
> which he upgraded.  This failure prompted a question about SL (as a
> no-fee option for a TUV enterprise, commercial, supported, production
> Linux base).
>
> Evidently, the current answer for SL is that it is not UEFI Secure Boot
> enabled, and SL 6x cannot reliably be installed upon such systems --
> depending upon the quirks (or proprietary generosity) of the actual BIOS
> supplier.

OpenSuSE supports "secure boot" not SuSE as I stated earlier.

I am sure it is only "recent" versions of OpenSuSE, Fedora and Ubuntu that
support 'secure boot".

See the following for more info.  In particular pages 12 and 17.  There
are references to youtube videos on page 18 showing Windows 8 dual booting
with Ubuntu 12.10 .

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/LinuxConUEFIandLinuxBresniker.pdf

It is efi compliant.  If the bios vendor does not allow "secure boot" to
be turned off then one should "converse" with said vendor.

-connie sieh