SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2013 08:53:53 -0700
Secure boot is enabled.  Evidently, the only means to disable secure
boot requires that a secure boot loader/configuration program be running
-- e.g., the MS proprietary boot loader (typically, supplied as part of
MS Windows 8) must be used to disable secure boat if the UEFI actually
permits this to be disabled (I have heard of some UEFI implementations
that do not permit secure boot truly to be disabled).

If Linux cannot handle this issue, then Linux is finished on all generic
(e.g., not Apple that supplies both the hardware and operating
environment software under a restrictive proprietary for-profit
intellectual property license) X86-64 hardware, as (almost?) all current
such hardware is MS 8 (UEFI secure boot) compliant.

Yasha Karant