SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2013

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2013 13:21:21 +0200
On 01/09/13 16:05, TAO Zhijiang wrote:
> 于 2013-9-1 21:35, Akemi Yagi 写道:
>> On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 6:26 AM, Paul Robert Marino
>> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> Also you should always use VMware tools to sync your time instead of
>>> NTP on
>>> VMware virtual machines.
>>> VMWare hypervisor plays games with the clock on purpose and can cause
>>> a VM
>>> with NTP enabled to behave erratically.
>> Please have a look at the vmware article I quoted earlier (Timekeeping
>> best practices for Linux guests). It says:
>>
>> "VMware recommends you to use NTP instead of VMware Tools periodic
>> time synchronization. NTP is an industry standard and ensures accurate
>> timekeeping in your guest."In
>>
>> Akemi
>

> Well, tell you the trueth.
> I will frequently change my kernel, so everytime I may reinstall the
> vmware-tools, which will
> really make me mad.
>
> In effect, I can do it with contrab through some public internet ntp
> time server, for example update
> the time and write to hwclock every minute, it really works fine.
>
> But sometime I may not have access to the internet, so when offline, the
> guest time will not be updated
> correctly, and when next time update time with outside ntp time server,
> everything will go wrong.
>
> I really want the vmware guest will fellow the time of host,.
>

> Any idea? I am so tired and out of hand ;-(

NTP.  If you run NTP on all your local boxes, you can even make them
point at each other in addition to public NTP servers.  And the local
NTP daemons will connect to the ones which have a reasonable and
available clock.

And NTP is kernel independent.  So no need to fiddle with kernel
depended tools at all.  At minimum, it just needs access to a local NTP
server if no public is available.

kind regards,

David Sommerseth