SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2013

Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2013 16:15:57 +0200
On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 20:46:55 -0700
Todd And Margo Chester <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 09/14/2013 05:34 PM, Tom Rosmond wrote:
> > T.
> >
> > No luck.  Making your suggested changes didn't solve the problem.  I
> > think it is because for some reason 'resolv.conf' didn't recreate, even
> > after a reboot.  So without it there was no nameservice and nothing
> > worked.
>
> I forgot to tell yo to restart your netowrking daemon.   Sorry.
>
> > I put the original back in place and that restored nameservice,
> > but at the original slowdown.  I assume this is because of the DNS
> > mismatch between 'ifcfg-eth0' and 'resolv.conf'?   I tried putting the
> > Google DNS values in 'resolv.conf' and restarting 'eth0', and now the
> > file was recreated, but with my own router and ISP nameservice
> > addresses.  The 'dhclient' deamon seems to insist on that.
> >
> > This problem is not unique to me.  I see similar threads in various
> > Linux forums (Ubuntu, Redhat, etc) complaining about slow nameservice
> > compared to Windows.  And no clear resolution of the problem.
>
> You have probably gone a far as you can go.

The easiest solution would be to follow Joseph Areeda's advice and
check the routers DHCP-Server configuration.

As we can see in the dhclient-eth0.leases file the router sends the
following DNS-Servers and Defaultgateway:
Primary: 192.168.0.1
Secondary: 216.177.225.9
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Now you should already see whats wrong here. Since this is a home
router it will probably put itself as the primary DNS-Server in the
network but as you can see it points to a other IP Adress (192.168.0.1).

Is there actually a DNS-Server running at that IP? (I guess not)

Now to the question why it works in Windows XP and not in Scientific
Linux. Thats because of the difference of how the resolvers work.
Windows XP sends a request to all configured DNS-Servers and just takes
the first response (the secondary DNS answers in that case).

Scientific Linux sends a request to the primary DNS-Server, waits for 5
seconds and if there is no answer it will move on to the secondary DNS.
This is why every lookup takes additional 5 seconds in your case.

Regards,
Sascha