SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2013

From:
Tom Rosmond <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Rosmond <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 2013 11:46:53 -0700
I run a dual boot (SL 6.4/Windows XP) workstation.  SL is 64 bit, XP is
32 bit.  I have Firefox and Konqueror browsers on SL; Firefox, IE, and
Google Chrome on XP.  For all browser choices I notice that when my
browser home page loads (Google.com for all cases), the XP load times
are very quick (< 1 sec), but painfully slow for SL (6-8 secs).  I
recently upgraded SL from 5.5 to 6.4, but I had the same symptoms before
the change.

Here are some data points:

1.  Firefox: 17.0.8 on SL, 23.0.1 on XP
2.  Temporarily disabling SELinux made no difference
3.  Temporarily disabling all plugins on SL Firefox made no difference.
4.  After the SL home page loads switching to other URL's is noticeably
slower than with XP.

Is this some kind of authentication hangup?  I have looked at the
various logs, but can't see anything.  But I am not an expert in this
area, so maybe I don't know what to look for.

Any insights or suggestions?

T. Rosmond