SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2013

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2013 08:40:07 -0500
On 09/05/2013 01:56 AM, n00b 101 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two computers running Scientific Linux 6.4.  Computer A (used as
> a server) uses wireless WiFi to connect to a wireless router so that it
> can surf the Internet.  Computer B (used as a client) has no wireless
> WiFi and needs to be connected to the Computer A so that it can go out
> to the world as well.  For some purposes, cable connection between
> Computer B and the wireless router has been opted out.
>

> Is the best way to connect Computers A and B by using a switch or router
> via Ethernet cables?
>
> noob.

If I followed all of that correctly, the best way is using an ethernet
switch with a NIC in each computer.  Alternately, you could skip the
switch and use a crossover cable if there are no other computers
involved.  You would then setup iptables/NAT on computer A to forward
the traffic from B to the internet.  There are many examples and
tutorials on the web to help you along.

Regards,
Mark

--