SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

September 2013

From:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2013 10:41:39 -0400
I don't know if  would work because its more general but extremely
useful for Scientific computing. Cray use to have a tool for their
Vector Processors which would evaluate code and advise on if it
"Vectorized" correctly and what prevented it from doing so. The Vector
processors were similar in design to a modern GPGPU. What they meant
by Vectorizing was that the code once compiled would utilize all of
the cores effectively in parallel. With the proliferation of
relatively inexpensive GPGPU's and the increasing number cores in main
CPU's this is a tool that is sadly missing and becoming more needed
especially in the realm of scientific computing which in many cases
needs to be able to get high performance out of off the shelf and in
many cases older computers.