SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2013

From:
Vincent Liggio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vincent Liggio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2013 07:52:33 -0400
On Thu, 1 Aug 2013, Thomas Bendler wrote:

> Sorry, but this simply false. Every system should, by default, install security
> patches automatically ​​after standard installation. Systems which are not
> patched are not an option and not every admin is working on a daily basis on
> the systems. If the admin decide not to use it, he should disable this feature
> but it shouldn't be the default setting.

That's fine, do a single update immediately after install. If they are
"not an option" how come most OS's on the planet are not patched? (not
that this is a good thing, mind you).

I've been doing this long enough to know that patches can often break more
than they fix (and can introduce their own security bugs). To blindly
patch all the time is an immature way of being an admin.