SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2013

From:
Vincent Liggio <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vincent Liggio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 2013 19:59:13 -0400
On 08/01/2013 06:07 PM, Steven Haigh wrote:

> If you really do have 1200 systems to worry about, I'd be looking at
> things like satellite. I have ~20-25 systems and yum-autoupdate is
> fantastic. It does what it says on the box and relieves me of having to
> watch / check for updates every day. I get an email in the morning that
> tells me what was updated and if there were any problems.

Guess none of you have to deal with third party applications, device
drivers, change management, etc. Simple servers are easy to patch, and
yes, I've done that for years. But take a system running anything
graphical (especially with video and audio device drivers) and try to
randomly patch it, and see how long that lasts!

(and yes, I really do have 1200+ systems to worry about. And I sleep
very happily knowing tomorrow they won't be any different than they were
today)

> Its hardly hidden - and if you don't like it, don't install the package
> - its purely in your control.

It installs by default. I certainly can uninstall it, or set it to not
autoupdate, which I shall.