SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2013

Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2013 15:29:09 +0200
On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:30 AM, zxq9 <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> * The old init system was complicated (in that the defaults aren't uniform).
> Familiarity with the system triumphed over lack of clear implementation and
> lack of documentation.

All Linux users and developers were victims of laziness and inertia
when we stuck with the mess that sysvinit scripts are for as long as
we did, especially after Solaris and OS X showed the way with SMF and
launchd. We should've at least moved to declarative init files with
one bash/dash/sh script to start and stop daemons; we didn't and we've
fortunately gone beyond that with systemd.

> * systemd is a huge effort that isn't doing anything to remedy the
> situation.

One or two years after the release of EL-7, everyone'll wonder what
all the anti-systemd fuss was about...