SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2013

Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2013 07:30:54 +0900
On 08/13/2013 03:41 AM, Kraus, Dave (GE Healthcare) wrote:
> I did say, dependent on system configuration.
>
> X11 is not treated as a "standard" service on a Red Hat box. (Debian, for example, does.)
>
> If you've installed services outside of Red Hat's management, then see above re:system configuration.

This discussion demonstrates two things:

* The old init system was complicated (in that the defaults aren't
uniform). Familiarity with the system triumphed over lack of clear
implementation and lack of documentation.

* systemd is a huge effort that isn't doing anything to remedy the
situation.

This echoes the history of HAL and a few other things that have come
before. My whole point was that these changes are politically, not
technically driven, and that's not going to end well for anyone because
RH doesn't have a monopoly in market or mindshare (recall the decline of
Unix in the 80's due to this very issue).

A third, sidetrack point that's been demonstrated is that internet
discussions have a tendency to get sidetracked.