SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2013

From:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Robert Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2013 10:24:42 -0400
well thats mostly due to the fact that its new and far more complex.
there was a mad rush for every one to rewrite there statup scripts and
quite a few of them weren't done very well and others weren't fully
thought out.

what I find worse is they did a ground up rewrite and didn't touch the
network configuration portion wasn't rewritten.

The network scripts are limited and problematic if you want to do any
thing advanced. for example its a long story why but on one device a
bridge I have to add a static arp entry. iproute2 has been able to do
this for as long as i can remember but there was no clean way to get
it to work was to hack the network scripts in order to add the
functionality.
Really the scripts network scripts need to have hooks added so user
defined scripts can be called at various points of the startup and
shutdown of an interface. but more than that they mostly date back to
the 2.0 Kernel and Linux's Network capabilities have change
significantly since then but for the most part these scripts keep
people stuck in the 90's.