SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2013

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2013 10:19:24 -0400
On Thursday 08 August 2013 12:17 pm, Robert Blair wrote:
> If this is like the board I got a while ago - one issue is the BIOS
> defaults (the USB problems). The board I had had IOMMU disabled by
> default and this needs to be enabled for USB to work under linux.
>
> On 08/08/2013 10:45 AM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 8:11 AM, Larry Linder
> >
> > <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >> After searching the net there are a number of people who have the same
> >> problem.   Gigabyte GA-970-DS3 mother boards have several problems out
> >> of the box.   With Ubuntu 64 bit systems they do not work or support the
> >> RealTech RTL8168/811E chip set.  Other reported failures appear to be
> >> USB3.
> >>
> >> I looks like we have a windows only board at the moment.
> >>
> >> A fix is to download the latest driver for the chip set, compile it and
> >> install it, & test it.   According to article Ubuntu's newest has
> >> updated driver.
> >> Our MB is also a version 1.0 and now they are up to 3.0.   The good deal
> >> for a few $ may be an expensive one in labor.
> >>
> >> When we are done, will post a how to fix this for SL.
> >>
> >> This system is really quick with a Quad core and 4.1 GHz clock.   It
> >> looked initially like a super computer at a steal and is well worth the
> >> time spent if fix works.
> >>
> >> Larry Linder
> >
> > Have you looked at ELRepo? Particularly, FAQ#4 at
> > http://elrepo.org/tiki/FAQ may help you find the right driver for the
> > NIC.
> >
> > Akemi
The problem with the MB's using RTL8168/8111 has been know for a few years.
The 32 bit version of SL 6.2 works - have not verified it.
We need to use SL 64 our system.

Installed Windows 7 on a spare disk, Internet found and worked - hardware is
checked.

Downloaded new driver from "realtech.com" for RTL8168/8111 and sneaker net ed
it over to SL 6.4 box applied the new driver.
New driver must have a problem with the 64 bit interface - or SL 6 X _64 code
is broken somewhere.

Next is to load up Fedora 19 and see if it works.   Then we will be able to
use SL 7.

Once we have decoded the problem - who at redhat should the problem submitted
to to make sure they get driver / SL to work.

More - later

Back to work

Thank You all
Larry Linder