SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2013

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2013 11:11:34 -0400
On Thursday 08 August 2013 10:07 am, you wrote:
> On 08/08/2013 08:59 AM, Larry Linder wrote:

> >> What does "ifconfig" show?
> >>
> >> -Connie Sieh
> >
> > Shutdown the Firewall using "iptables stop".
> > examined resolve.conf and network-scripts/if*  did not see anything out
> > of the ordinary.
> >
> > I am looking at running "ifconfig" and ping to router from another window
> > eth0		RX bytes: 1868768  TX bytes: 0
> >
> > Conclusion is eth0 can receive but not transmit.
> >
> > Made a live DVD and it complains:  error 14  missing file when booted.
> > The live CD works and it cannot get out on the internet.
> > Looked at the build of Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 and it mentions that the
> > built in Ethernet chip is a Realtech and a list of other hardware devices
> > when you look at Linux versions supported.
> >
> > There are numerous ways to set up Ethernet and the one in "setup" appears
> > to link to a write only file.
> > This same thing applies when you boot up from command line and add
> > argument "asknetwork".  Plan to look at this in more detail.
> > The "network" tool in Gnome does not see the changes made to the system
> > from "setup" - there is a disconnect somewhere.
> >
> > Added another known good spare Ethernet card and set it up as eth1 and
> > nuked eth0 rebooted and the same results.  Used Gnome "network" tool
> > and "ifconfig -a " shows eth1 and not eth0.
> >
> > route -n - compares to working system.
> >
> > Today we are going to install a new disk with Windos 7 - known working
> > system and see whet transpires.
> >
> > Thank You
> > Larry Linder
>
> This sounds like a buggy driver or a broken PHY.
>
> I'm not sure what to think of your add-in NIC; you haven't stated
> make/model/driver.  You also haven't provided the complete output to
> ifconfig, complete contents of your configuration files, or any relevant
> system messages.
>
> We are pretty much flying blind at this point.
>
> -Mark

After searching the net there are a number of people who have the same
problem.   Gigabyte GA-970-DS3 mother boards have several problems out of the
box.   With Ubuntu 64 bit systems they do not work or support the RealTech
RTL8168/811E chip set.  Other reported failures appear to be USB3.

I looks like we have a windows only board at the moment.

A fix is to download the latest driver for the chip set, compile it and
install it, & test it.   According to article Ubuntu's newest has updated
driver.
Our MB is also a version 1.0 and now they are up to 3.0.   The good deal for a
few $ may be an expensive one in labor.

When we are done, will post a how to fix this for SL.

This system is really quick with a Quad core and 4.1 GHz clock.   It looked
initially like a super computer at a steal and is well worth the time spent
if fix works.

Larry Linder