SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2013

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2013 09:07:18 -0500
On 08/08/2013 08:59 AM, Larry Linder wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 August 2013 2:36 pm, you wrote:
>> On Wed, 7 Aug 2013, Larry Linder wrote:
>>> Not really the place for this but I need some neural help.
>>>
>>> New prototype system for SL 6.4 -=20
>>> Installed as a custom install - so we can get disks labeled as we need
>>> them. Set up everything but could not access the Internet.   Since this
>>> is a new= =20
>>> Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3, AMD quad core, 16G of dram and a couple of
>>> TByte=20 disks.
>>> Used the Ethernet install tool on GNOME and it all looked good -
>>> addresses= =20
>>> checked, router, gateway etc.
>>>
>>> When I ran ping 192.168.0.1 		-  address of our router
>>> =46rom 192.168.0.111 icmp_seq=3D1 Destination Host Unreachable
>>> and then=20
>>> "insufficient memory" error
>>> The second time I ran "ping"it gave the same result but no memory error.
>>>
>>> Added a known good 10/100 Ethernet board and used next address and the
>>> exac= t=20
>>> same result.  Used eth1 for new board and  eth0 for the MB Ethernet.
>>>
>>> 3 rd attempt was an install - upgrade with command line
>>> linux - asknetwork
>>> Set this up as it asked with offset address of 192.168.0.112,mask,gateway
>>> &= =20
>>> metric =3D 1 reboot and same result.
>>>
>>> This appears to be some kind of Firewall problem.   In SL5.8 you had
>>> the=20 option of setting it promiscuous and then it all worked and it was
>>> easy to= =20
>>> add the required firewall protections.   But this network is inside the
>>> pla= nt=20
>>> so we do not check everything.
>>> Would like to turn Firewall stuff off to see if problem goes away but
>>> could= =20
>>> find little info on it .
>>>
>>> I am convinced that HW is good, tested cable drop and was able to connect
>>> i= t=20
>>> to another box and Ethernet worked.
>>>
>>> 4.  Next will be an install with a live CD and see if we can make the=20
>>> connection with it.
>>>
>>> Any ideas as to where to look or how to disable security stuff.
>>>
>>> Thank You=20
>>> Larry Linder
>>
>> What does "ifconfig" show?
>>
>> -Connie Sieh
>
> Shutdown the Firewall using "iptables stop".
> examined resolve.conf and network-scripts/if*  did not see anything out of the
> ordinary.
>
> I am looking at running "ifconfig" and ping to router from another window
> eth0		RX bytes: 1868768  TX bytes: 0
>
> Conclusion is eth0 can receive but not transmit.
>
> Made a live DVD and it complains:  error 14  missing file when booted.
> The live CD works and it cannot get out on the internet.
> Looked at the build of Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 and it mentions that the built in
> Ethernet chip is a Realtech and a list of other hardware devices when you
> look at Linux versions supported.

> [...]

This sounds like a buggy driver or a broken PHY.

I'm not sure what to think of your add-in NIC; you haven't stated
make/model/driver.  You also haven't provided the complete output to
ifconfig, complete contents of your configuration files, or any relevant
system messages.

We are pretty much flying blind at this point.

-Mark
--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola
Senior Control Systems Engineer