SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2013

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2013 09:59:36 -0400
On Wednesday 07 August 2013 2:36 pm, you wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Aug 2013, Larry Linder wrote:
> > Not really the place for this but I need some neural help.
> >
> > New prototype system for SL 6.4 -=20
> > Installed as a custom install - so we can get disks labeled as we need
> > them. Set up everything but could not access the Internet.   Since this
> > is a new= =20
> > Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3, AMD quad core, 16G of dram and a couple of
> > TByte=20 disks.
> > Used the Ethernet install tool on GNOME and it all looked good -
> > addresses= =20
> > checked, router, gateway etc.
> >
> > When I ran ping 192.168.0.1 		-  address of our router
> > =46rom 192.168.0.111 icmp_seq=3D1 Destination Host Unreachable
> > and then=20
> > "insufficient memory" error
> > The second time I ran "ping"it gave the same result but no memory error.
> >
> > Added a known good 10/100 Ethernet board and used next address and the
> > exac= t=20
> > same result.  Used eth1 for new board and  eth0 for the MB Ethernet.
> >
> > 3 rd attempt was an install - upgrade with command line
> > linux - asknetwork
> > Set this up as it asked with offset address of 192.168.0.112,mask,gateway
> > &= =20
> > metric =3D 1 reboot and same result.
> >
> > This appears to be some kind of Firewall problem.   In SL5.8 you had
> > the=20 option of setting it promiscuous and then it all worked and it was
> > easy to= =20
> > add the required firewall protections.   But this network is inside the
> > pla= nt=20
> > so we do not check everything.
> > Would like to turn Firewall stuff off to see if problem goes away but
> > could= =20
> > find little info on it .
> >
> > I am convinced that HW is good, tested cable drop and was able to connect
> > i= t=20
> > to another box and Ethernet worked.
> >
> > 4.  Next will be an install with a live CD and see if we can make the=20
> > connection with it.
> >
> > Any ideas as to where to look or how to disable security stuff.
> >
> > Thank You=20
> > Larry Linder
>
> What does "ifconfig" show?
>
> -Connie Sieh

Shutdown the Firewall using "iptables stop".
examined resolve.conf and network-scripts/if*  did not see anything out of the
ordinary.

I am looking at running "ifconfig" and ping to router from another window
eth0		RX bytes: 1868768  TX bytes: 0

Conclusion is eth0 can receive but not transmit.

Made a live DVD and it complains:  error 14  missing file when booted.
The live CD works and it cannot get out on the internet.
Looked at the build of Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 and it mentions that the built in
Ethernet chip is a Realtech and a list of other hardware devices when you
look at Linux versions supported.

There are numerous ways to set up Ethernet and the one in "setup" appears to
link to a write only file.
This same thing applies when you boot up from command line and add
argument "asknetwork".  Plan to look at this in more detail.
The "network" tool in Gnome does not see the changes made to the system
from "setup" - there is a disconnect somewhere.

Added another known good spare Ethernet card and set it up as eth1 and nuked
eth0 rebooted and the same results.  Used Gnome "network" tool
and "ifconfig -a " shows eth1 and not eth0.

route -n - compares to working system.

Today we are going to install a new disk with Windos 7 - known working system
and see whet transpires.

Thank You
Larry Linder