SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2013

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 2013 10:15:25 -0400
Not really the place for this but I need some neural help.

New prototype system for SL 6.4 -
Installed as a custom install - so we can get disks labeled as we need them.
Set up everything but could not access the Internet.   Since this is a new
Gigabyte  GA-970A-DS3, AMD quad core, 16G of dram and a couple of TByte
disks.
Used the Ethernet install tool on GNOME and it all looked good - addresses
checked, router, gateway etc.

When I ran ping 192.168.0.1 		-  address of our router
From 192.168.0.111 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
and then
"insufficient memory" error
The second time I ran "ping"it gave the same result but no memory error.

Added a known good 10/100 Ethernet board and used next address and the exact
same result.  Used eth1 for new board and  eth0 for the MB Ethernet.

3 rd attempt was an install - upgrade with command line
linux - asknetwork
Set this up as it asked with offset address of 192.168.0.112,mask,gateway &
metric = 1 reboot and same result.

This appears to be some kind of Firewall problem.   In SL5.8 you had the
option of setting it promiscuous and then it all worked and it was easy to
add the required firewall protections.   But this network is inside the plant
so we do not check everything.
Would like to turn Firewall stuff off to see if problem goes away but could
find little info on it .

I am convinced that HW is good, tested cable drop and was able to connect it
to another box and Ethernet worked.

4.  Next will be an install with a live CD and see if we can make the
connection with it.

Any ideas as to where to look or how to disable security stuff.

Thank You
Larry Linder