SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2013 07:59:57 -0700
On 06/03/2013 05:58 AM, g wrote:
> greetings konstantin and john.
>
> excuse delay in replying.
>
> i extended my 'memorial day weekend' to a 'memorial week'.
>

> On 05/24/2013 12:03 PM, Konstantin Olchanski wrote:
>> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 11:50:12AM -0500, g wrote:
>>>
>>> Your 2701HG-B Gateway has intercepted your web page ...
>>
>> Get a real gateway that just gateways without trying to be
>> your virus checker, your nanny and your IP policeman.
>
> this one has been doing fine up until now.
>
>> (Hint: most internet boxes given out by internet providers
>> can be switched to a pass-through (aka bridge) mode, then
>> you attach your own nanny-free NAT/Wifi box to it).
>
> that is possible with this dsl router as it has;
>
>      Bridged LLC
>      Bridged VC-Mux
>      Routed LLC
>      Routed VC-Mux
>
> but i would rather leave it as is as it is actually working
> fine with exception of this one minor hiccup.
>
> ++++
>
> On 05/24/2013 12:34 PM, John Lauro wrote:
>   > Linux can get viruses too including ones that could cause the symptoms
>   > described.
>
> this is true. with most of the 'script kiddies' being linux users who
> dislike
> oos, i would not think they would try writing an oos appearing virus. too
> easy to track down. then again, no telling what they would do. ;-)
>
> in addition, from 'day one' of installing sl, i have 'clamav' installed and
> it has yet to show any problems.
>
>   > Not sure what you mean by oos viruses,
>
> 'oos' = 'other operating system'
>
>   > but the claim was blaster like, not the blaster virus.
>
> this is true, also. except
>
>   > That said, it sounds suspicious like an attempt to get you to buy
> something.
>
> my feelings also.
>
>   > Anyways, a virus on Linux is possible, but you can use argus or tcpdump
>   > or a ton of other network monitoring tools on your machine and see
> if it
>   > is spewing out random connections that it shouldn't be.
>
> just by noting the activity led flashing was enough to indicate to me that
> such was not happening. i posted to list to see if anyone might have a
> similar problem.
>
> i am considering installing 'argus', but my 'round2it' has not made it yet.
>
> if i really wanted to see what was going thru router, i would install
> another
> computer with 2 nic cards between dsl line and router to monitor traffic.
>
> as i have system setup now, i only allow traffic in that i have originated.
>
> i thank you both for your replies.
>

> in closing, my actual 'cure' for problem was to disable the warning.
>
> it did not seem to be working correctly as it would appear when i had from
> 4 to 8 tabs open in firefox. under such conditions, i really did not feel
> that warning was proper, because in past, i have had up to 12 tabs open and
> there where no warnings.

Presumably, the "OOS" mentioned above is some variety of MS Windows, as
in the USA, Mac OS X cannot legally be installed on a non-Apple hardware
platform, and it is rare for a Mac OS X user to install any Linux as the
primary operating system environment.

The reality of enduser workstations in a mixed environment is that one
is forced to install MS Windows.  Many proprietary applications,
licensed for fee (e.g., products from Intuit), are not available for
Linux.  Thus, one is forced to use either the nightmare of dual boot
systems, or using a virtual machine under Linux (I personally use Oracle
VirtualBox that is licensed for free) and installing MS Windows
thereunder.  My understanding is that anti-compromise software (e.g.,
ClamAV) must be installed on both the Linux host as well as the MS guest
as a compromise of the guest could compromise some resources on the
host.  Free Software Foundation purists will reject any use of
proprietary "non-free" software, but those of us who use the machines
and are not attempting to make a socio-political statement need to run
proprietary applications for certain special circumstances.

Yasha Karant