SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2013

From:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dag Wieers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2013 16:21:07 +0200
On Mon, 10 Jun 2013, jdow wrote:

> Just a little note, Vladimir, please be aware that there appears to be
> a problem with SSDs when you read the same portion of the disk very many
> times per day. The section of flash seems to lose data and cannot be
> refreshed after a couple years. We have customers who use SSDs in theme
> park rides in the vehicles for an audio server. It was a short, ride
> length, audio track repeated every run for the ride vehicle - every few
> minutes for a 12 hour day 365 days per year.
>
> We now counsel customers to use features in the program to allow storing
> many copies of the audio track and rotate their use to avoid this wear
> problem.
>
> This is mentioned so infrequently in the literature that I am not sure it
> has been generally recognized or dealt with by the disk manufacturers. It
> surely astounded us when the reports started coming in.

Wouldn't the VFS layer make sure the audio track was in cache, avoiding to
read from SSD on every request ? Even if the cache pressure (for whatever
reason) would flush it from cache, make sure it stays in memory by putting
it in a tmpfs filesystem during boot and use that instead ?

Seems to me more worthwhile than rotating over different entries in a
filesystem on an SSD. Especially since there's no need to keep reading it
from SSD...

--
-- dag wieers, [log in to unmask], http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, [log in to unmask], http://dagit.net/