SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2013

From:
Chuck Munro <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Munro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2013 09:42:38 -0700
Hello all,

I have been running a couple of KVM servers on SL6 for quite some time,
and have been very happy with performance.  One of these machines hosts
five instances of firewall software (a mix of pfSense and m0n0wall) and
I'd like to port this configuration to SSDs (RAID-1) to increase
reliability.

My question is how do I minimize writes to the disk array?  Is it
possible to significantly reduce disk writes once the host SL6 OS has
booted up and the guest OS's are running?

The current hard-drive-based box has lots of RAM (8 GBytes) and each
guest has a pretty small footprint, so swapping has never been invoked.
  So far the current SL6-based firewall pretty well runs itself with
very little effort on my part, so things like syslog are usually not
monitored much.  Can the /var filesystem be safely mounted from a file
server or does it have to be on a local drive during bootup?

I do let logwatch and logrotate run on the current box (with hard
drives) but I'm tempted to reduce logging to a bare minimum and rotate
logs to /dev/null

At this point it's all somewhat academic, but I'd like to consider the
possibility of reducing heat and eliminating as many moving parts as
possible.  I like KVM and would prefer to stick with it.  I don't have
the luxury of running a bunch of embedded diskless firewall boxes,
unfortunately.

Your suggestions??

Thanks in advance,
Chuck