SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2013

From:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2013 15:33:19 -0500
That's a fair point, and really one of the reasons we switched back to
the regular ESR firefox - not that Remi ever caused us any problems, but
really just to simplify. Having multiple rpm sources has caused us no
end of headaches in the past too, so have tried to keep to the same list
as you (plus a small set of local extras). Not that this always works
out in practise, unfortunately...

We had it set up with only 3 packages whitelisted: firefox, thunderbird
and xulrunner. As I say, it never caused any problems, and seems very
benign, esp compared with the hoops you have to jump through to provide
(eg) a working mplayer or VLC to desktiop users!

Graham

On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 03:07:23PM -0500, Ken Teh wrote:
> I don't know Remi's repo and I'm wary of including a lot of repos.  The only
> extra repos I use are elrepo, epel, and adobe.  I even have doubts about epel.
>
> Comments?  Assurances?
>

> On 06/06/2013 02:31 PM, Graham Allan wrote:
> >Latest firefox is available pre-packaged for SL at Remi's repo,
> >http://rpms.famillecollet.com/
> >
> >we used it for a while when TUV was still supplying a desperately old
> >version, though more recently switched back to the supplied ESR release.
> >
> >Graham
Graham Allan
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota