SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2013

From:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Graham Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2013 14:31:39 -0500
Latest firefox is available pre-packaged for SL at Remi's repo,
http://rpms.famillecollet.com/

we used it for a while when TUV was still supplying a desperately old
version, though more recently switched back to the supplied ESR release.

Graham

On Thu, Jun 06, 2013 at 12:19:23PM -0500, Ken Teh wrote:
> I'd appreciate some more details on how you implement the Mozilla update
> protocol in an (not quite) enterprise environment.  IOW, not hundreds or
> thousands of machines but enough to make manual updates unfeasable.
>
> Isn't mozilla's update user-based?  When a user launches firefox, the browser
> checks for updates, and if there is a newer version, asks the user to download
> and install it.  What do you do if the user has no privileges to install
> software?
>
> Thanks!
>

> On 06/05/2013 08:40 PM, Yasha Karant wrote:
> >On 06/05/2013 01:57 PM, Ken Teh wrote:
> >>I'd like to hear some pros and cons with using the latest firefox from
> >>mozilla instead of using the ESR version that comes with the stock
> >>distro.  I am deploying a web app that fails to render properly. It is a
> >>bug in firefox which has been fixed since version 18.
> >>
> >>Naturally, the ESR version is 17. Sigh...
> >
> >As we were deploying new Nvidia-equipped stereoscopic 3D scientific
> >visualisation workstations using X86-64 SL6x, we had to make a decision as
> >to whether to use the SL distribution Firefox (ESR) or the latest production
> >release.  After considering the pros and cons (including that the machines
> >are behind a network firewall), we selected the current production version.
> >Thus far, we have had no issues, and have done several updates using the
> >Mozilla Firefox update technique, not the SL6x update, keeping Firefox up to
> >the current production release.  Part of the reason for the decision was the
> >observation you also have made; certain defects that were corrected in the
> >production release did not have the corrections backported to the earlier
> >release ESR SL version.
> >
> >Yasha Karant

Graham Allan
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota