SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2013

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2013 09:09:11 -0500
On 05/07/2013 07:59 AM, Sternberger, Sven wrote:
> Hello!
>
> we just noticed that in 6.4 the yum group "core" (defined in "comps-sl6-x86_64.xml" file)
> lists a rpm "yum-conf-sl6x" which conflicts with the "sl-release" rpm.
>
> yum-conf-sl6x creates a file sl6x.repo and sl-release creates the file "sl.repo".
> The sl6x.repo references the sl6x rpms, the sl.repo
> references the sl64 rpms.
>
> IMHO the yum-conf-sl6x shouldn't be in the "core" group.
>
> best regards.
>
> sven

Hello Sven,

Thank you for your comments on the state of yum-conf-sl6x.

yum-conf-sl6x-1-2.noarch.rpm does not have any conflicts set.

$ rpm -qpi --conflicts yum-conf-sl6x-1-2.noarch.rpm
Name        : yum-conf-sl6x                Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 1                                 Vendor: Scientific Linux
Release     : 2                             Build Date: Mon 20 Feb 2012
08:43:25 AM CST
Install Date: (not installed)               Build Host: sl6.fnal.gov
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM: yum-conf-sl6x-1-2.src.rpm
Size        : 1837                             License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Mon 20 Feb 2012 08:50:48 AM CST, Key ID b0b4183f192a7d7d
Packager    : Scientific Linux
URL         : http://www.scientificlinux.org/
Summary     : SL6x yum configuration files
Description :
Yum repository config files that point to Scientific Linux 6x, which
is always the latest release.  With this installed your system will
automatically be updated to the latest SL6 release as soon as it is
released.
$

So I'm not sure what you mean by 'conflicts with sl-release'.

As for the the inclusion of yum-conf-sl6x in the default install, this was
discussed at HEPiX Beijing (Oct 2012) in the presentation Connie and I
wrote.[1]  When I solicited comments at that conference, no one expressed concern.

The 'x' repo configs were added to the default install of 5.9 Alpha on Jan
10th (though my initial announcement could have been clearer).  And they were
added to the default install of 6.4 Beta on March 1st.  This behavior was
present for the entire pre-release cycle of both 5.9 and 6.4.

Up until now no one expressed any concerns over this change, and I've received
a few off list emails expressing gratitude for this new behavior.

If yum-conf-sl{5,6}x is not suitable for your systems the rpms have been
designed to be simple to remove without any additional labor. While these are
'by default' they are not mandated by any parts of the system.  That was a
core requirement of this change in default behavior.

I hope this has been a helpful clarification of how yum-conf-sl6x was added to
the comps.

Pat

[1]
https://indico.cern.ch/contributionDisplay.py?contribId=3&sessionId=1&confId=199025