SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2013 22:49:15 -0700
On 05/22/2013 10:59 PM, David G.Miller wrote:
> Elias Persson <delreich@...> writes:
> <SNIP>
>
>> If it's config files you're interested in, `rpm -qc ...` should
>> limit that to just files the packager considers config'able.
>>
>> Taking that one step further, this should get you a list of all
>> such files:
>>
>>       rpm -qac | grep -v -e '(contains no files)'
>>
>> Keep in mind though that what the packager considers to be a
>> config file (or for some other reason has marked as such) does
>> not always correspond to what normally would be considered such.
>> I certainly wouldn't have thought of /var/lib/rpm/* as configs...
>>

> In rpmbuild speak configuration files typically have two characteristics:
>
> 1) The file will usually be modified after installation, and
> 2) The modified file contains information that shouldn't be overwritten by
> an update.
>
> What we think of as configuration data fits this criteria but so do lots of
> other files.  Probably a better name would be something like "user
> configurable" or "configuration dependent."  Classifying a file as a config
> file also gives the user a way to do rpm --verify and filter files that are
> expected to not match what was installed.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

I agree -- "configuration dependent" modifiable would be a better
description.   At one time, these were straightforward to find, and
often, the man page would list the names of each configuration file and
ofter the functions thereof.  The source code for the application
typically would have a "comment" section that listed the internal layout
of each such file, also typically a plain text file that could be
modified with a plain text editor (e.g., vi).  This sort of information
is increasingly difficult to find, with some configuration files written
as nominally plain text but in such schemes as XML.

I have a suggestion that could be initiated in SL and perhaps then
diffuse into other Linux varieties.  This suggestion would NOT cause any
loss of binary compatibility with other EL derivatives.

The suggestion:  a specific directory that serves as a repository (not a
distribution repository, but one on a locally accessible host machine,
including the immediate machine being used).  Each application (say kile
or vi) that has a configuration file  would have a configuration-list
file (say, kile-config) that contains the actual list of configuration
files, both kept centrally within a system or for each user home
directory, and, if possible, the use/content template of each such file.
  It would be up to the maintainer of the application to supply this
configuration-list.  Initially, there would be very few of these, but as
time proceeds, there would be more contributions to this set of
configuration-list files, ultimately addressing the problem.

Yasha Karant