SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2013

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2013 08:55:54 -0700
I had downloaded the demonstration/test/time-limited licensed version of
BaKoMa TeX on a Linux environment and IA-32 environment (EL 5 as I
recall).  The application produced and stored the data (office material)
as real LaTeX that Kile (or native LaTeX) could process so long as the
various "macros" and "packages" that BaKoMa used were available.

To my recollection at that time, pdflatex was not integrated into the
Linux version, but this was not a problem on a properly provisioned
Linux environment.

As an aside, I must comment on what you consider not "cost prohibitive".
(Technical Linux configuration readers of course will skip this item of
reality in much of the Academy in the USA.)

I do not have the funds to license the application, and my university
refuses to license anything but proprietary, overpriced, underperforming
for-profit vendor products, particularly from the MS monopoly (the legal
finding about Microsoft both in the USA and EU as I recall).  The
persons in charge of IT at my institution are not from a computer
science and engineering background, or any other hard science
background, but are all business IT types -- we are hiring a VP IT and
the finalist candidates each make statements such as:

Visionary planner and manager with in-depth experience implementing new
business concepts, delivering innovative technical solutions,
facilitating operations in transition, and driving progress toward
organizational goals.

and similar business IT blather.  The persons are all "managers" with no
research education in the field that they are managing, not even the
typical BS/MS that works as a superior technician.  (I have not violated
any confidentiality with the above quote; the list of finalists is
public and the quote is from a public URL written by the candidate so
quoted.  All the candidates have the same approach.)

Unfortunately, I also lack the student professional resources to modify
an open source application such as TeXstudio into an open source
BaKoMaTeX (not a copy -- different widgets and nominally different user
interface).

If I had funds, I would need to license TotalView as a concurrent
debugger (including Nvidia CUDA) that, evidently, has much better
capabilities than, say, licensed-for-free Eclipse, before funding a
LaTeX application.

Yasha Karant

On 05/21/2013 08:02 AM, James M. Pulver wrote:
> I haven't spent much time with LyX, but that would have been my
> first
thought. I didn't know that it can export to LaTeX. I will have to look
at that - does the BaKoMa TeX actually generate and save LaTeX? I
believe that the reason we haven't pushed LyX is the actual file you're
working on *isn't* LaTex. The site license of ~ 1500 euros isn't cost
prohibitive *if* it includes the 3 platforms and not just one, though we
might get it for just Linux I suppose. We do need some way to try and
convince people to use LaTeX rather than Word...